Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Great Week in Thailand

Hey Family,

Happy Memorials Day! One of the Holidays going on here today is the Day Buddha received enlightenment. Huge festivities and I took a picture of monks walking around the temple. The religion here is very open to people seeing them worship. Think about Alma and his Brethren going to the Zoramites and they would go up to the tower and say a public prayer. Imagine that times ten. haha!
 
 
 
Well to be honest this week was crazy. I interviewed Sister Fern and her daughter Praew Sister Rodriguez's and Yim's investigators. Praew is 9. And Fern is in her 30's. But it was a really awesome experience! Interviewing a 9 year old. She was way shy and really funny. I figured it would be like that. So I brought my photo album. I showed her my family. My Niece. Pictures of Me and Shrek (She loves the Shrek movies) Then I showed photos from my mission and how I was with Sister Rodriguez before and how we are friends and stuff. So it was really fun to just make her know that I am nice even though I am big! haha! I also used my picture book of Christ and Joseph Smith and President Monson. But the cool thing about those interviews are it is just an opportunity to here a child bear their testimony. Way awesome. Coolest experience ever.
 


So basically I had to set up there baptism as well. Mainly because the Sisters and the ZL's went to Bangkok and I had to make sure everything was ready for Sunday and I had to do the program. But that is the best part of being DL. I get to serve others. It is really a great experience. It really makes you think of helping others all the time. Basically the whole week we served. English is great we have about 70 to 80 people I have 20 people in my class alone (I teach with Elder Cosper) Then we have 4 classes in total.


We also helped Brother Som Chay the Elder's Quorom president serve his brother who isn't a member on Wednesday. We put huge cement pillars into the ground. and we are going back to finish this week. The thing about Thailand is they start their construction by putting cement pillars in then work from there. And they are heavy! And it was hard! because you had to dig through rubble with a garden hoe! Because they don't remove the old house when they build a new one. They knock it down, put dirt on top. Then start to build. So we dug through cement blocks! But way fun! Good opportunity to serve!
 
 
 

Then on Saturday we served at a blind school. We taught English to blind kids! One of the coolest experiences ever. They are so good with recognizing us as we speak. They can usually remember you after one time of speaking. They also get to know you by feeling you hands/ arms. So fun to serve and eat and be with them for a day. We went down with 10 members. 10 BYU students who are doing interns. Then the Lambang Elders were there as well. Way fun!
 
 
 

This work is great! I love being here and serving the Thai people. They are so nice and loving. They will always help you. And I will always serve them when they are in need. They are loving, they care. And God loves all of his children. I know that I am here to find those in need, not only of the need of the Gospel but in need of help. I love the Thai people and I love serving in Thailand!

Love you family! Thanks for everything!

Elder Landon Simonsen

No comments:

Post a Comment